Friday, August 20, 2010

Jack's 6-month check-up

Jack turned 6 months old this week, so we took him to the pediatrician for his 6-month well-child exam. This was the first well-child exam with our new pediatrician in State College, and it went okay. He is very different from our pediatrician in Salt Lake City, and his recommendations for feeding and sleeping are really different, so it is giving Dan and I a lot to think about, and made it really clear to us just how much of raising a child is up to the preference of the parent. There are not so many right/wrong decisions as you may think.

Jack checked out perfectly, and is a whopping 19 pounds now, which puts him in the 70% percentile for weight for baby boys. He is also 26 and 1/4 inches tall which puts him in the 55% percentile for height. The doctor said he looks great, is doing everything physically, socially and linguistically that he should be at this point in development. That made us feel really happy. He also got all of his 6-month vaccinations, which he took like a champ.

Overall, I think we'll stick with this pediatrician for the time being. I like that he talks about AAP recommendations and seems up to date on their most recent policy statements. He also appears to be up to date on the research literature related to many aspects of child development. I have asked him for the resources he cited in our meeting today, so when I get those I will share them because the information really was interesting to me and different than what I have read or been told by my other pediatrician.

PS - here's a couple of pictures of Ellie I took this morning for good measure:

1 comment:

Lea said...

What a big guy!! What kind of differing advice did the dr give you? There are so many differing "camps" on eating and, especially, sleeping! Kind of mind-numbing at times!